The driver's of economic growth in India are need-driven and not as much wants-driven as in many western economies. Growth is likely to sustain for the next 3-4 decades, due to a large underserved population and a growing middle class. Some of the biggest opportunities depend on technology innovation – health, energy, water and education to name a few.
Indian R&D is not application oriented and few such institutions are able to bring viable solutions to market. The big businesses are always more eager to acquire innovation than initiate it. Few Indian investors have backgrounds in technology entrepreneurship and hence shy away from the space. While many in India complain about this “broken” eco-system – i2india sees it as a gold-mine for entrepreneurs.
I2india has built an entrepreneurial team that leads by example. We have also built a uniquely Indian model for tech-start-ups that addresses all the challenges in the eco-system. I2india is the first in the country to build a complete integrated platform for building technology businesses. We provide the following infrastructure to entrepreneurs:
- Technology Expertise – through our global associations including Imperial College, London.
- Co-Promotion Model – to help 1st time entrepreneurs as partners. An i2india executive serves as an operating partner and helps with day-to-day activities, planning and execution. We’re not just board-room strategists.
- Incubation – we run a non-profit incubator jointly funded by Government of India.
- Seed-Stage Investment – we provide much needed seed-capital to kick start
- Early-Stage Investment – we organize soft debt and 1st-round funding, post-revenue.
I2india walks the talk. Look at some of our businesses that we have built from scratch, following this model.